October 21, 2016
Jr. Varsity Tournament
The schedule for Saturday’s (10/22) Jr. Varsity Tournament is as follows:
- 9:45am – Merrimack Valley vs. Bow (Turf )
- 9:45am – Hanover vs. Kearsarge (Grass )
- 10:45am – Hanover vs. Souhegan (Turf)
- 10:45am – Kearsarge vs. Merrimack Valley (Grass)
- 11:45am – Souhegan vs. Kearsarge (Turf)
- 11:45am – Hanover vs. Bow (Grass)
- 12:30 – Lunch Break
- 1:30pm – Hanover vs. Merrimack Valley (Turf)
- 1:30pm – Bow vs. Souhegan (Grass)
- 2:30pm – Kearsarge vs. Bow (Turf)
- 2:30pm – Souhegan vs. Merrimack Valley
- 3:30pm – Presentation to Champions & Wrap-up
All games will include two 18-minute halves with a five minute halftime. The format is round-robin. Weather looks a bit wet and chilly – be prepared.
- Also note that the JVs will be at home today (Friday 10/21) vs. Hollis-Brookline – game time is 4:00pm on the Grass.
- Once again, the Varsity girls were a bit slow to get rolling, but eventually dominated in a 3-0 win over Plymouth (Away) on Wednesday (10/19).
- Tonight (Fri 10/21) is Senior Night! We’ll be honoring our seniors in a brief pre-game ceremony – be at the Turf by 3:35 if you’d like to take it in. Following the ceremony, the Varsity will play its final regular season game vs. Hollis-Brookline – HHS Turf at 4:00pm.
- From Coach Nichols, “The Reserve girls played an excellent game against Lebanon yesterday (Wed 10/19). It was a very close match with both teams taking charge at different times. We created several opportunities to score and shut down Lebanon every time they attacked our goal. We won 1-0.”
October 19, 2016
This week marks the end of regular season games for Jr. Varsity, Reserve and Varsity:
Last Week – JVs had a mixed week last week – dropping a 0-1 decision to Bow and taking away a 2-1 win over Windham on Friday. In both instances, Coach Krass notes that the team continues to create many scoring opportunities.
- JVs will see home action on Friday (10/21) when they take on Hollis-Brookline on the HHS Grass. Game time is 4:00pm
- The annual JV Tournament will take place this Saturday (10/22) on both the Turf and Grass Fields at HHS. This is a great event that will involve a round-robin series of games with Hanover, Bow, Hollis-Brookline, Merrimack Valley and Souhegan. Games will start at 9:45am and finish up around 3:30pm. A game by game schedule will be posted here later in the week. This is a great opportunity to see the JVs in their final day of game action.
Last Week (from Coach Nichols) –
The Reserve girls played an excellent game against Lebanon last Thursday (10/13), dominating a good share of the play and out scoring Lebanon 2-0. They played well as a team, making nice crosses and splitting the Lebanon defense to create several scoring opportunities.
Despite playing with all their hearts in our game against KUA on Friday (10/14), we came up short 3-5. The girls had to dig deep and some played in new positions due to our lack of subs (only two at the beginning of the game and none in the second half). They never gave up and continued to fight right to the end. I was very proud of how hard they worked.
- The Reserve girls will finish out their season on the road this week: 1) Wednesday (Today – 10/19) at Lebanon – game time is 4:00pm; 2) Thursday (10/20) at Mt. Royal Academy – game time is 4:00pm.
Last Week – Varsity had a tough week: After quickly falling behind by two goals at Bow (10/11) the girls significantly picked up the pace and continued to challenge throughout the match – but ended up on the wrong end of a 1-2 loss. On Friday, the girls took on a tough Windham team away and, despite numerous opportunities, were not able to put one away during regulation and two overtimes – final 0-0 tie.
- Varsity will see game action at Plymouth today (Wed 10/19) – game time is 3:30pm.
- This Friday (10/21) is Senior Night for the Varsity. A short ceremony honoring our seniors will precede our home game with Hollis-Brookline. Be there by 3:30pm if you’d like to see the event. The final regular schedule game of the season will follow – game time is 4:00pm on the HHS Turf.
- Varsity’s season will continue into the playoffs, with pairings likely to be announced over the coming weekend. First game likely on Thursday 10/27.
Soccer Girls Working the Kids Zone at the CHaD Event on Sunday
October 12, 2016
Please note that the school dismissal time for Varsity and Jr. Varsity on Thursday 10/13 has been moved to 12:50pm. Game times for both teams remain at 4:00pm.
- Also note that the Jr. Varsity game vs. Windham will be played at Griffin Park (Range Road, Windham, NH) – the Varsity game will be played at Windham High School.
October 9, 2016
All team scores to date have been updated in the ‘Results ’16’ folder:
The editor is still waiting for a game report from Coach Nichols regarding last week’s away game (10/5) vs. Lebanon – look for an update here.
- This week, the Reserves have games: 1) at home (Huntley Meadow) vs. Lebanon on Thursday (10/13) – game time is 4:30pm; and 2) on the road vs. KUA on Friday (10/14) – game time is 4:00pm.
Jr. Varsity played well and had several good scoring opportunities, but ended up on the underside of a 0-1 decision at Kearsarge on Tuesday (10/4). Quickly turning things around, the girls looked strong in a solid win at home over Lebanon on Friday (10/7).
- Jr. Varsity is on a road trip this coming week with two away games: 1) Tuesday (10/11) at Bow – game time is 4:15pm; and Thursday (10/13) at Windham – game time is 4:00pm.
Varsity was up to its usual approach this past week, with slow starts and fast endings. The girls ended up with a 2-0 road win over a tough Kearsarge side on Tuesday (10/4) and slowly, but surely unwound themselves for a 7-0 home win over Trinity on Friday (10/7).
- Varsity is on a road trip this coming week with two away games: 1) Tuesday (10/11) at Bow – game time is 4:15pm; and Thursday (10/13) at Windham – game time is 4:00pm.
Varsity Pre-Game Ritual
October 5, 2016
Please consider the following as you make your way to the back-to-back girls and boys varsity soccer games on the HHS Turf this Friday (4:00pm/6:00pm):
We will be collecting food for the Haven food pantry at all of the boys’ and girls’ soccer games on Homecoming Friday. Please bring items of non-perishable food (soup, peanut butter, cereal, tuna, etc.) to the snack area overlooking the HHS turf field on Friday (10/7), and we’ll try to help the Haven stock up their food shelf! Please urge parents and friends to bring food when they come to the games. If we all work together, we can make a real difference!
October 4, 2016
The Reserve game originally scheduled for this Friday (10/7) has been changed; the game will now be played at 4:00pm on Thursday 10/20. This is an away game vs. Mt. Royal Academy. An updated game schedule has been posted in the Reserve folder to the right.
October 3, 2016
Please note that today’s (Mon 10/3) Jr. Varsity and Varsity practices have been moved to the Route 5/Dresden Fields in Norwich. Jr. Varsity players should take the school bus to the fields and will start practice when all have arrived. Varsity players will link up for rides and hope to get going no later than 3:45pm.
The Reserve team will see action twice this coming week: 1) Wednesday (10/5) away at Lebanon – game time is 4:00pm; 2) Friday (10/7) away at Mt. Royal Academy – game time is 4:00pm.
- Following a transportation snafu, the Reserves ran into a tough Sunapee team on Saturday (10/1) and came out with a 0-7 loss. Thanks to parents who got the team to the venue on time.
JVs will also see game action twice this coming week: 1) Tuesday (10/4) away at Kearsarge – game time is 4:30pm and dismissal time is 2:45. (Note that the Varsity game will follow the JV game and that players riding the bus won’t arrive back at HHS until approximately 8:30pm – if you’d like to take your daughter home early following their game, you’ll need a parent note to that effect signed by the Athletic Office); 2) Friday (10/7) home vs. Trinity on the HHS Grass – game time is 4:00pm.
- The JVs had a solid showing in a 3-0 win over Woodstock (VT) on Friday (9/30) – the girls showed good passing and field awareness and dominated the action.
Varsity will be at it twice this coming week: 1) Tuesday (10/4) away at Kearsarge – game time is 6:00pm and dismissal time is 2:45. (Note that the Varsity game will follow the JV game); 2) Friday (10/7) home vs. Trinity on the HHS Turf – game time is 4:00pm.
- The Varsity girls were flying in a 4-0 win over Souhegan on Friday (9/30) – while looking great, it still took 60 minutes to put one in the net – with three to quickly follow.
September 23, 2016
An updated Results sheet has been posted in ‘Results ’16’:
Reserve – the Reserve team had a tough week – with a significantly depleted team due to a combination of illness and injury –
- On Monday (9/19) the girls came out on the low end of a 2-1 score vs. Mt. Royal Academy. In the words on Coach Nichols, “The 14 reserve girls that were not hurt and/or sick played a very strong game today. We had multiple people playing in unfamiliar positions and doing an amazing job of it. Despite several very good opportunities in the second half, we weren’t able to tie the game up by the end. We lost 2-1.”
- On Wednesday (9/21) the girls had a tough time with Fall Mt. in a 4-0 loss. According to Coach Nichols, “As expected, we had a tough game today. With 6 out of our 8 defensive players out hurt and/or sick (7 by the end of the game), plus another 3 offensive players out sick or hurt, we had to make several adjustments as far as where players played. Two of our fasted offensive players did a fantastic job for the 2nd game in a row playing as the center defenders. Their speed made up for their lack of experience in those positions. We worked in two new goalies and all the healthy girls played more than 70 minutes of the game. It was disappointing to lose 4-0, but the girls made adjustments in our formation in the middle of the first half that changed the flow of the game. Fall Mt. only out scored us 1-0 in the second half even though we were very tired.”
- The Reserves are scheduled for an away game today (Fri 9/23) at Sharon Academy – game time is 4:30pm.
- Varsity had a good outing in an away contest at Trinity on Tuesday (9/20) – where they came out with a 5-0 win.
- Varsity has a rematch with arch-rival John Stark today (Fri 9/23) on the road. Game time is 4:30pm at John Stark Regional High School in Weare, NH.
- Injuries are also starting to have an impact on the JVs, but they nevertheless had a strong road win over Trinity on Tuesday (9/20). The final was 7-0.
- Jr. Varsity is on the road today vs. John Stark. Game time is 4:30pm at John Stark Regional High School in Weare, NH.
JV Pre-Game Ritual