A small, but select group of alums and current players gathered for the traditional post-Thankgiving Alumni Game on Saturday November 30 – although few game statistics were reported, it does appear that the Alums emerged with a narrow victory . . . until next August.
- YOU should be at Futsal today (Sunday Nov 24) – 3:00pm at Marion Cross Gym, Norwich – important people are watching.
- Congratulations to Emily Acker, who was named to the Twin-State Lions Cup team for 2014.
Congratulations to the following, who have been elected Captains for the 2014 HHS Girls Varsity Team:
- Alexi Kim;
- Julia Krass;
- Claire Messersmith
Congratulations to the following players, who have been named to All-State Teams by the New Hampshire Soccer Coaches Association:
- Emily Acker – 1st Team All-State
- Kelly Brigham – 2nd Team All-State
- Evie Keating – Honorable Mention All-State
- Susanna Penfield – Honorable Mention All-State
Futsal is an excellent opportunity to improve your soccer skills, get in a bit of fitness and have some fun on Sunday afternoons. Without question, those who play in the off-season are those who improve in the off-season. At one quick hour – futsal is also a great opportunity for those playing other sports to get in a weekly bit of soccer. The following is from Watt Alexander, who runs the futsal program:
Futsal is indoor soccer played on a gym floor with a non-bounce size four ball. It originated in South America and is the only official FIFA-approved indoor soccer. (The FIFA Futsal World Cup just concluded in November (2012) with Brazil beating Spain in the final.)
It’s soccer, but on such a small field that players must learn to play at their feet, make short quick runs and passes and generally play more like Brazilians than we do outdoors. It’s excellent training for improving foot skills and playing a smarter, smaller game and Coach Doug thinks very highly of those who attend regularly.
We play at 3pm on Sundays and are done promptly at 4pm. You wear flats or other non-marking sneakers and you bring water and a grey shirt just like real soccer. It’s run through Norwich Rec for insurance reasons and they charge a fee to offset the cost of renting the gym. Here’s the official Norwich Rec version:
FUTSAL for High School Girls
Futsal is indoor soccer played on a basketball court with a smaller, heavier ball. A major sport in Brazil, futsal emphasizes ball control and short quick runs, stressing creativity and technique. A great opportunity for players to maintain their touch between seasons and develop better individual tactics and technique. We will emphasize a single fundamental skill each session with the majority of time spent scrimmaging. Please bring a water bottle, grey shirt, shin guards and rubber-soled flat athletic/indoor soccer shoes. (16 Player Max)
*Sundays, Nov. 10th – April 7th; 3 – 4pm Fee TBD
Held in the Marion Cross School Gym Coordinator Watt Alexander 649-3144 / firstname.lastname@example.org; past Norwich Recreation and Lightning Soccer Coach with USSF Coaching Certification.
WE BEGIN TODAY – SUNDAY – NOVEMBER 10TH
MARION CROSS GYM IN NORWICH
We will use these next two weeks to let girls try out futsal so you can decide whether this is something you want to keep playing through the winter. Around Thanksgiving, I’ll send out information on officially registering through the Norwich Rec site and we will cap participation at 16 players at that time. Until then, come try and see what you think. If you have questions, my contact information is above.
The Varsity girls staged a terrific comeback to tie Souhegan in regulation in last night’s Semi-Final game at Bill Ball Stadium in Exeter. After falling behind 0-2, the Varsity gathered itself up and played strong soccer in the second half to rally to 2-2. Both overtimes included strong offensive play with at least one shot missing by inches – unfortunately, the PK round did not go our way this time.
A great season for a team that learned and improved with each game . . .
Varsity will take on Souhegan in a Semi-Final Playoff game today at Bill Ball Stadium in Exeter. Game time is 4:00pm – Be There!
- and please note the following from NHIAA:
The gates will open at 3:15pm. Please remind your parents/fans that this is an NHIAA tournament event and admission will be charged – $5.00 for students/senior citizens and $7.00 for adults. Children 5 and under free. Please encourage fans to bring exact change. There will be concessions on site. For GPS purposes use 315 Epping Road, Exeter as the address for Exeter High School.
In a reversal of tactics, Varsity scored twice in regulation to beat Windham 2-1 in a second-round playoff game on Saturday (11/2). Overall, a solid win and strong base to build upon.
- Varsity training schedule for next two days: 1) Monday (11/4) – Training 6:30 – 8:00pm – HHS Turf; 2) Tuesday (11/5) – Training 3:30 – 5:00pm – HHS Turf.
- Varsity will take on Souhegan in a Semi-Final game on Wednesday (11/6) at Bill Ball Stadium in Exeter at 4:00pm – yes, you should be there.
- Varsity’s second round playoff game vs. Windham will be played tomorrow (Sat 11/2) at Windham High School – game time is 2:30pm. Bus departure time will be 11:15am. The girls need your support – so pile into your cars and be there.
- Varsity will train today (Fri 11/1) from 3:30 to 5:15pm at the Route 5 Fields in Norwich.
- Reserve’s end-of-season event will be held this Sunday (11/3) from 5:30 to 7:00pm at Shoshana Siegel’s home.
Addendum (6:52pm) – as it turns out, none of the Hanover girls have college plans and won’t be taking the SATs Saturday – as such, it is most likely that the game will be played on Saturday – likely at 2:30 or 3:00pm. Stay tuned . . . Varsity training Friday (11/1) will be from 3:30 to 5:15 at the Route 5 fields.
Varsity engaged in their usual overtime habits last night – emerging (following 8 rounds of PKs) as the victor in their first round playoff game vs. Con-Val. No goals, but strong play.
Please note the following:
- The date/time of the next playoff game (vs. Windham) is in flux due to SATs on Saturday morning. It is possible the game will be moved to Sunday (11/3). You’ll know as soon as we know.
- Today’s (Thur 10/31) Varsity training has been canceled – in favor of training sessions on Friday and Saturday (assumes a Sunday game). Times and locations will be posted as soon as possible. Go watch the boys play – and stay warm.
Halloween is traditionally celebrated on October 31.